The starting point was a collection of about 700 images. They are all special and all different from each other, but have something in common: the eyes of Michela Brondi, who selected them during years of research.
We wrote to the authors of the hands all over the world regardless of their curriculum and we explained our idea. Incredible artists responded (below are all the websites) and when we sent the digital version of the book, the reactions were formidable (you can also find them below).
Strong of this result, we went to one of the oldest typographies in Tuscany: Bandecchi & Vivaldi and we proposed to them to collaborate with us on the realization of a prototype. After a design that lasted several months we managed to make the first three copies of the book and we are ready to print the first limited edition of 500 copies. It's a precious edition, made with the best canvas (Manifattura del Seveso), the best paper and a debossed drawing on front cover (in the video and in the photos the drawing on the front cover is only printed). We have created this beautiful book in a completely independent way and the project has cost 2 years of work but little money, because more than 50 people from 5 continents have collaborated for free.
How funds will be used
If we complete this campaign we will be able to print the first limited edition, send the book to bakers, to artists who participated in the project and to museums and collections that host the images of public domain presented in the book.
How can you take part in this enterprise?
You can support us with a donation or by ordering a copy of the book!
We will print the name of all the supporters on the first limited edition of A book about hands, along with that of all the people who helped us to make it happen!
The reaction of artists and museums to the book
- "This looks fantastic! Love the design and there are some really great pieces in there." Sam Falconer
- "The book looks awesome!! I love it." Michael Waraksa
- "Wow, oh my god this book is so nice! Well done it looks great!" Laurene Boglio
- "What a gorgeous compendium of hands!" Jazmina Cinninas
- “La copertina è bellissima e anche la selezione di foto ed illustrazioni, complimenti.” Fabio Astone
- "I think it is stunning. Simply wonderful." Claire Curneen
- "It is awesome!" Marie Ricci for NHS
- "Looks great!!!" Good Worth & Co.
- "Bellissimo! Tutto perfetto e non vedo l'ora di vederlo fisicamente :) Ottimo lavoro, davvero!" Marco Oggian
- "Beautiful! Congrats for the selection and the project, the book looks awesome!" Alba Feito
- "Book looks really great!" Nick Veasey
- "Looks absolutely beautiful!!!" Ellen Porteus
- "Ho apprezzato molto il libro. Sfogliando una pagina dopo l'altra non sai che cosa aspettarti e questo rende la lettura una bella esperienza." Davide Bellocchio
- "BOMBA. Tutto perfetto, non vedo l'ora di tenerlo tra le MANI." Leg
- "The book looks amazing. Everything looks great" Dustin Mayers
- "The book is really cool. We think it looks perfect.” Rubenimichi
- "BELLISSIMO!!! Troppo troppo bello. Bravissimi. Una bomba vera. Stupendo." Silvio Giordano
- "The book looks very nice and can't wait to receive our copy." Ayako Kurokawa
- “It is a good project!” San Poggio
- “Looks great.” Bo Lundberg
- "La selezione che avete fatto è fotonica!" Irene Malfanti
- “Just looked through the entire book! So interesting :) There’s so many images I’ve never seen before.” Jason Travis
- "It looks all good and beautiful. I am happy to be part of it!” Joni Mayer
Some museums, including the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, the Philadelphia Museum, the Library of Congress and the Medical Heritage Library have greatly appreciated the book and the project. The British Museum has confirmed to us that they will be happy to receive a copy of the book which will be hosted in one of their bookstores where it will remain available for consultation and research.
Who spoke about us on blogs and newspapers
"Publishing can also be different from what we are used to seeing: there can be research into new ways, experiments, challenges, images and languages of art, different priorities and ways of producing and distributing. I point out this project that deserves attention and support. "
Alessandra Perotti - Editor, writer coach.
Simone Sbarbati - Frizzi Frizzi // Damiano Pignedoli - Rumor Scena // Nicoletta Rolla - Cheecada Wheels // Emanuela Rosi - La Nazione // Benedetto Marchese - Città della Spezia // Fernando Ambrosi - Carta Resistente // Federico Zenoni - Liber Libri // Alessandra Perotti - Writing Way // Paolo Sus - Paolo Triulzi
Hardcover canvas wrapped with Cialinen 2037 by Manifattura del Seveso (certification FSC), debossed drawing in front cover | Freelife Vellum Paper 170g (certification FSC) | 108 pages | 8,66x8,66 in - h 0,79 in | Language: English - Italian | Limited edition to 500. Photo by Jason Travis
Artists, Museums and Collections
Michael Waraksa // Jason Travis // Bo Lundberg // Claire Curneen // Ayako Kurokawa // Jim Philipps // Nina Torr // Laurène Boglio // Sam Falconer // Davide Bellocchio // Tyler Spangler // Nick Veasey // Silvio Giordano // Britt Hutchinson // Marco Oggian //Leg // Simon C. Page // Fabio Astone // Jazmina Cinninas // Alba Feito // Claudio Ferri // Good Worth & Co. Adam Hale // Dome // Nancy Wilson-Pajic // Rubenimichi // Eduardo Recife // Seth Alverson // Ronnie Van Hout // Olga Tranchini // Tavis Coburn // Kevin Corrado // Dadu Shin // Ellen Porteus // Ruth Singer // Irene Malfanti // NHS Inc. San Poggio // Graziana Masetti // Dustin Myers // Matthew Cox // Joni Majer // Adrian Velasco // Ben Kruisdijk // Sarah Burwash // Jonathan Zawada
The British Museum // National Gallery of Art // Philadelphia Museum of Art // Wellcome Library // Fondo Antiguo de la Universidad de Sevilla // Heidelberg University // Library of Congress // Minneapolis Institute of Art // The Medical Heritage Library // U.S. National Library of Medicine // The Public Domain Review // Getty Research Institute // California Digital Library
Jason Travis // Jacopo Buccarelli // Cristina Pighini // Rocco Malfanti e Camilla Floreancig - Le Grottesche // Ilaria Angeloni // Damiano Pignedoli // Giacomo Macelloni e Gianmarco Fiaschi - ADB (Accademia della batteria) // Marco Macelloni - Tipografia Bandecchi & Vivaldi // Massimo Pasquali // Linda Pasquini - Eppela // Ignazio Valerio - MAIL BOXES ETC // Heidi Raatz // Hanna Clutterbook-Cook // Michele Ravanetti - Carta Manent Festival
A huge thanks to the many friends that the book has met and without whose help could not go on and supporters of the first attempt at crowdfunding on kickstarter! THANK YOU!!!!!
If we can complete this crowdfunding campaign, A BOOK ABOUT could become a series of books and we would like our supporters to choose the next book to work on, letting us know their preference.